Random Post 2: My Foster Dog, Little

My college house of 10 girls always has always had the idea of fostering a dog. We thought just two to four weeks of having a dog to hang out with could be so much fun. I though that it was all talk, but one day we actually sat down and applied to become fosterers. A couple of weeks later we got a call that a dog needed a foster home. That's the story of how we got Little. 



When we got Little she was recovering from a surgery. We assumed that she had just been spayed, as that was where the scar was. They told us they just needed us to care for her for three weeks while she recovered. I immediately fell in love with the little creature, as I knew I would. She is a bundle of cuddles. She loves to play and go on walks. Even more important for a house full of young girls, she loves to get dressed up in clothes and have bows in her hair. 


Unfortunately, the story is not all happiness and cuddles. After a couple weeks of having Little, we got an unfortunate call from the vet. The surgery she had wasn't a spay after all, it was a biopsy of her mammary gland. Little has mammary gland osteosarcoma, giving her only a few months to live. I cannot stand the thought our sending our sweet girl back to the shelter when she is sick, so what started as a 3 week foster has turned into a hospice foster. Little will be flying back up to northern California for winter break to come home with my family, and she'll live with us for the remainder of her life. 

As unfortunate as Little's story is, I am so grateful that we get to experience her and help make the remainder of her life a special one. I am excited to spend the coming months feeding her so much cheese (her favorite) and taking her on many, many walks. 

Comments

  1. Hi Kate, I enjoyed reading about your time with Little and sad to hear that her time is limited but will definitely have so much life while spending the remainder of it with you and your family! You're the second person I know of whom has fostered a dog during their time in college, although I would believe it is probably common. After hearing about your experience fostering a dog and the joy it brought you and your housemates, as well as my one friend who fostered a dog this semester as well, I almost feel compelled to looking into it as well. Hopefully it won't just be "all talk" for me as well haha.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment