Random Post -- Netflix Games: My Tragic Story of UnderWatermelon
My Tragic Story of UnderWatermelon: How a Netflix Game Broke my Heart
What is it about mobile games that are so enticing? From Candy Crush to Flappy Bird, society has been thoroughly addicted to simple, mindless games. I surprisingly have never found myself in one of those situations, until now...
Netflix recently released games to their platform, bringing the fun of mobile games to your 70-inch flat-screen. Last week I walked in on my roommates playing one of these games in the living room: Underwatermelon. It is a classic fruit merging game, you start with small fruits and try to combine them until you get a large fruit. As you go, you unlock larger and larger fruits.
It is a really, really stupid game, but unfortunately I got hooked. I fear that over the course of fall break my roommates and I played this game for a concerning amount of time. We all wanted so badly to find out what happens when you combine two watermelons. We were convinced that it was going to create a pumpkin.
Then, one night last week, I finally reached the point in which two watermelons were about to merge. We sat in anticipation as the watermelons converged, and then, nothing... The two watermelons simply disappeared. It was one of the most disappointing moments I've endured, sort of like our overtime football loss this weekend. I thought about how many hours (too many) we had all spent trying to get to pumpkin, just for pumpkin to not exist.
We still play the game, but not like we did. There isn't an end goal anymore, now that we know that the watermelons combine to form nothing. It is probably for the best as I can now return to functioning normally, but I'll miss rotting on the couch for hours and growing delirious with my roommates. I'd definitely recommend that everyone check out the Netflix games, but be cautious as they may end up breaking your heart.
Kate, I thought that this post, while about a game that seems quite, as you put it, stupid, was very refreshing. I laughed at multiple points and now it has intrigued me to possibly play!! Or should I not?
ReplyDeleteit is funny to see how you been playing so much to see what will happen, and nothing happens. I feel like that has happened to me so many times where I get hooked on to the game even if there is a good finishing, I think to myself now what?
ReplyDeleteI will never forget the days of Flappy Bird - I was devastated when that app was taken down! It is unfortunate that the the game turned out to be anticlimactic, but the bright side is that you can direct your focus elsewhere now.
ReplyDelete