"Growing a Farmer" -- A Review
Growing a Farmer: How I Learned to Live off the Land by Kurt Zimmerman is more than just a memoir. This book could be considered a step-by-step of how to develop a small-scale farm. It could even be thought of as a self-improvement narrative. Zimmerman tells the reader the process of creating the farm, but also dives into his personal journey and revelations throughout the experience. Like I said in my first post on the book, I've always dreamed of having my own garden and making food from scratch. In reading this story, I genuinely wanted to learn how to farm. My goal was successful, and I did learn a lot about farming, but I also learned a lot more.
The story is structured around the stages of developing the farm, with each chapter diving into a different process. For example, chapter 5 talks about butchering and chapter 8 is focused on cheese. As an avid cheese lover, this was easily my favorite chapter. However, what I love most about the book is that Zimmerman does not just provide a step by step guide of creating the farm. He writes about the complex process and his self growth throughout it. I truly felt like I was learning alongside Zimmerman, and felt as though we were going through the process together. When he was first buying the land and supplies, he wrote a lot about how naive he had been. As the book progressed, there was a change in his confidence. Towards the end of the story, Zimmerman is significantly more confident in himself and his capabilities.
It is as much a personal growth story as it is a lesson on farming, and that is truly what makes the book unique. The story covers the ugly side of the restaurant industry, developing a small scale farm, and the journey of an entrepreneur. For someone who doesn't care a bit about the food industry or starting a farm, it won't be the most interesting read. However, anyone interested in the story of building a business will appreciate this book.
Hi Kate, I like how you touched on specific chapters and sections in the book to explain your favorite parts of the book. I also am a big cheese fan, so now I am considering reading this book.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great reflection, Kate! I am also a huge cheese lover, so I just might give this a read! I found it really interesting the way you describe feeling alongside the author's journey. It sounds like this book went beyond topics of farming, and could be relatable to people with no ties to farming as it highlights the complexities of personal development.
ReplyDeleteKate! I can totally relate to this book in the same way you can. I also am fascinated with the "farm-to-fork" concept and always think about what it would be like to start a restaurant. I am glad you were able to gain a more profound meaning from this book as well. I am strongly considering picking up a copy!
ReplyDeleteI like how you mention his growing confidence, making it feel like the reader is learning alongside him. The way the book teaches farming while showing his self-improvement makes it stand out. You also make it clear that while the book might not be for everyone, people interested in farming, the food industry, or starting a business will really enjoy it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing! I love how Growing a Farmer is not only a guide to farming but also a personal growth story. It’s great that Zimmerman balances practical farming advice with his own journey of self-discovery. The way you describe learning alongside him makes the book feel very immersive. I especially appreciate how his confidence evolves throughout the process—it's inspiring for anyone pursuing a dream. It sounds like a unique mix of entrepreneurship, farming, and personal development.
ReplyDeleteI like how you pointed out the focus on his personal development throughout the process, where going from someone unsure of what he was doing to building confidence as he mastered new skills. I feel like it would be an insightful read for anyone interested in how people adapt and grow through new experiences.
ReplyDelete