Growing Alongside "Growing a Farmer"
I've always dreamed of having a flower garden and two goats to make goat cheese. Depending on how the flowers turn out, I might even throw some vegetables into the mix. I've watched the internet famous "Ballerina Farmer" for years, enjoying her videos of cooking from scratch and building her farm. There is something so attractive about the ability to source your own food. The care, love, and nurturing makes it taste and feel so much better. My curiosity about a homesteading life has drawn me to Growing a Farmer. Aside from Instagram influencers, I've never been exposed to small-scale organic farming. This book provides the perfect opportunity to learn more about the realities of starting a farm in a less glorified way than Instagram portrays.
Growing a Farmer shares many of the same traits as a farm -- raw, honest, and beautiful.
Reading this story has been so easy. In fact, it may be the easiest memoir I've read, and that is due to the storytelling. I truly feel like a fly on the wall in reading this book. It is easy to see the author's personality and voice come to life through the writing. I can hear and feel the naivety of a 20-something-year-old man. I can sense the impulse, anxiety, and excitement. The author walks the reader through his decision making process, including the critical thought, or lack thereof. It is quite beautiful to experience the story of how this farm accidentally came to be. I am excited to continue reading this story in hopes that I grow alongside the farm.
I think it is always so awesome when author's can truly capture a story and is able to share that in a way that is easy for their audience to read. It is such a hard but important skill to master if we are going to be great storytellers. I hope to improve my abilities and strive to be more like this author.
ReplyDeleteKate, I am also reading this novel and can relate to the fact that it is an easy read due to the way that it is written. Curious how our takeaways in the next blog post compare and contrast to each other.
ReplyDelete