WHO YOU ARE MATTERS

    If you drive about 11 hours north on the 101 you’ll stumble across Arcata, California. This is my home: a small town sheltered in the Redwood forest. Arcata is known for its beautiful nature and marijuana farming, and it is probably one of the most interesting places a person could visit.


    Despite how unique Arcata is, I cannot imagine moving back. I dream of moving to New York City, and I am currently recruiting with asset managers to find a job there. There is a one of a kind energy that radiates throughout New York City, and I find myself longing for this excitement. 



    I am looking forward to beginning this new venture on the East coast, but I will miss my family. My mom and I both love shopping and reality TV, whereas my dad and I both love pizza so much we can eat it for every meal. I thrive in sunshine, unlike my parents who find their comfort indoors.

    I’ve certainly spent the majority of my life attempting to live up to the expectations of my parents. I told them at a very young age that I wanted to be a doctor, and they held me to that. With the expectation of being my family’s first MD, I never gave myself the space to explore other passions or interests. It wasn’t until very recently that I actually let myself face the fact that I cannot stand being around sick people, and ever since I’ve been on a journey to find my new path.

    My roommate Carson has helped inspire me to focus on the things I’m truly passionate about. She is the person who showed me that it is possible to make a life out of the things you love, and that when you truly care about something and work hard at it, opportunities will arise. I am forever grateful for her guidance and inspiration.

    A couple years ago while watching a nature documentary, I was introduced to the Hawaiian Goby Fish. Although only a few inches in size, the Goby fish uses its mouth to scale waterfalls hundreds of feet high. I resonate with the Goby because despite its unassuming appearance, it can perform mighty feats. Size does not always determine resilience and strength, and the Hawaiian Goby proves that.


  
    Redwood trees are so special to me. My childhood home sits within the Arcata Community Forest, and from every window there is a view of the Redwood trees. I was so lucky to grow up surrounded by such incredible nature, and it has deeply impacted who I am today. Almost every memory I have within my hometown is shadowed by a Redwood curtain. I was a teenager before I realized most trees are not 200 feet tall. I don’t think I’ll ever forget the smell of the fog lifting off the trees in the morning. I wish I could make a candle out of it.
 

Libra Sun

Aquarius Moon

Sagittarius Rising


Comments

  1. As a fellow California girl, I also want to move to New York to pursue a career in finance. The opportunities are incomparable to LA...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also grew up in a small town in Norther California. I always say, "It's a great placed to be raised, but I can't imagine moving back."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the personal images that you shared! Your friend Carson sounds like a great role model and rock to have in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got to visit Northern California for the first time this summer, and the nature there was incredible! I can’t imagine being around it all the time, it must be awesome. I totally get why you’d want to move to a big city though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can really feel the pressure of living up to those early expectations, especially when it's something as big as becoming a doctor. It's so brave to finally admit that it's not what you want and start exploring a new path.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment